    RE: iSNS: Event registry and notification

    Josh,

    > Although the type (initiator or target) of iSNS client is stored
    > in the iSNS database, note that the iSNS server does not make a
    > distinction in how it interacts with each type of client--both types
    > (initiators and targets) are uniformly treated as iSNS clients.
    > That means both initiators and targets can register for notification
    > and are members of Discovery Domains.

    I understand the philosophy, my example questions based on initiator
    or  targets weren't implied to change iSNS to be initiator or target
    oriented, rather I tried to illustrate what one would want to get out
    of the events.

    > Please review the section on Discovery Domains.  DD's are used to
    > define event registration and notification policy.

    Well, DDs may solve flooding of events to all unnecessary iSCSI nodes
    to some extent. But I still visualise DDs to contain a good number of
    iSCSI nodes even though the number won't be huge. In that case, it may
    not be correct to assume that all iSCSI nodes are capable of heavyweight

    processing of all kinds of events in the discovery domain - Turning off
    events might be an option for those nodes but these Nodes might still
    be interested in receiving notification about certain Nodes inside of
    a discovery domain, not ALL of the nodes in the DD.

    So what I would like to see is:

        a) more fine grained list of events
            -  One such example event would be to notify when an iSCSI node
               with certain attributes (such as access permision to a
    specific iSCSI
               node)  or capabilities is added /removed to/from a  Disocvery
    domain.
               Otherwise, let us say, if there are 255 iSCSI nodes in a
    discovery
               domain, and if a new node is added, and even if the new node
    has
               access permission to ONLY one iSCSI node in the discovery
    domain,
               we would see all 255 nodes receiving notification and all 255
    nodes
               probing for access control which might cause needless storm
    of activity
               in the network.

        b) mechanism to selectively receive one or more (set) of these
    events
           as a certain iSCSI node may not be interested in all that happens
    inside
           a DD, however small a DD might be.

    -JP