    RE: iSCSI ERT: open issues list#1

    Somesh,

    This reminds me that when we first started considering ordering in its
    different flavors i briefly considered a dual numbering scheme global and
    per connection with the global meant for command ordering  and the per
    connection meant for an completely ordered delivery per connection above an
    imperfect TCP.
    On my notes only 2 lines appear on "why rejected":

    1-unneeded serialization of delivery when commands are already executed
    2-obviously bad interaction with TCP

    It took me yesterday some time to recall the "obvious" - and, like in the
    joke, it is obvious!

    The ordering over TCP has appeal when done underneath iSCSI as it makes
    iSCSI a safe transport in no need for other recovery within a connection.
    However in order for it to work it has to have:

    - either have a buffer larger that an the one implied by the RTT to keep
    the TCP window from blocking when a failed piece is retransmitted
    - or drop every piece of information after a failure - i.e. same behavior
    as a connection drop

    If you attempt this scheme not as a "safety layer underneath iSCSI" i.e.
    deliver the numbered pieces
    to iSCSI and have it make something out of the numbering then the effect of
    unwanted serialization becomes dramatic (as you are unaware of the position
    of the missing piece in the puzzle you will have to stop many activities -
    even unrelated) and the recovery is not simpler than in the schemes we
    have.  A good example is to compare what will happen if you have several
    tape writes and a piece of data is dropped in this scheme vs. the
    per/command numbering we have in the current draft.

    However within the recovery team we will reexamine this scheme and other
    versions during this (it has already started for me!) week.

    "Somesh Gupta" <someshg@yahoo.com> on 03-05-2001 20:51:00

    Please respond to someshg@yahoo.com