    RE: iSCSI: Re: iSCSI & Linked Commands

    Mark,

    I have little doubt that what you are saying is true for Fibre-Channel.
    Much of the confusion seems to stem from the choices in architectural
    models.  FC found a solution selectively using CRN and reservation. iSCSI,
    choosing to support multiple connections, has then required more extensive
    use of serialization.  For devices that can only handle one task at a time,
    linking is assured at providing the desired results within parallel SCSI.

    One view with the general provisions at providing non-idem potent means of
    commanding a device expands into a general discussion of ensuring
    synchronization of server state.  This is an obligation of the transport
    that is not met with connection allegiance alone.  There are many means of
    accomplishing this goal.  With respect to linking, I was simply correcting
    the language used to describe command allegiance to a connection.  Unless
    linked commands are banned from SCSI, allegiance as now described for iSCSI
    does not apply to the task.  As there is never more than one outstanding
    command active within a linked command set, iSCSI should have no difficulty
    in providing this feature.

    What happens at the application and how that translates into the transport
    is something the proposal is to provide.  Backup applications are behind the
    paradigm shift so do not expect the application to conform to your
    expectations.  From the requirement proposal, scanners and printers and
    mechanical loaders will need workable solutions within iSCSI.  Should the
    transport be able to understand the commands for all of these devices, some
    of these devices, and what of devices using vendor unique commands or wholly
    new commands?  In my view, the transport should not respond to or modify the
    SCSI layer.  There are techniques that make no assumptions about the SCSI
    layer content.

    Doug