    Re: iSCSI: Re: iSCSI & Linked Commands

    Doug,

    Whether or not a device uses relative addressing has nothing to do with
    command linking. A LOCATE command moves the head, and a following READ
    reads the data. Using command linking, relative addressing, etc. does
    not protect the sender of the above commands from another command, sent
    by that initiator or any other, which may move the head, and thus cause
    the original READ to get the data from the wrong place. There is no
    protection between the first and any subsequent commands under command
    linking. Thus, the proper way to use LOCATE and READ is with
    RESERVE/RELEASE. I assume that it was in order to settle this confusion,
    that FC-TAPE decided to ban linked commands.

    -mark

    --
    Mark Mokryn      SANgate Systems Inc.      mark@SANgate.com
    Phone: +972-9-8919821                Mobile: +972-54-270030