    RE: [Tsvwg] [SCTP checksum problems]

    Qiaobing,

    In essence, the problems for iSCSI and SCTP are similar.  Both wish to
    improve error detection over TCP checksums.  Examination of Adler-32
    indicated weak burst error detection and low sensitivity for small frames, a
    principle uses of SCTP at this point.  A realistic means of examining the
    transport end-to-end error detection is needed for both of these protocols,
    although SCTP is indeed more generalized.  Moving forward, it would be
    beneficial if a common scheme were employed and agreed adequate.  There are
    problems with various Telco components over more robust Ethernet equipment.
    DSLAM interfaces and poorly aggregated SONET packets may be areas of greater
    concern than Gaussian noise or burst errors.  Without a better understanding
    of the present error sources, assessing any scheme is difficult.

    A 128k byte table for CRC is not practical for most applications so CRC
    requires about 8 instructions per byte with a 1K lookup table.  The modified
    Adler-32 where S1 becomes a simple unsigned summation of 16 bit values
    seeded with 0x5555 but where S2 retains the Adler modulo only requires about
    2 instructions per byte versus about 3 of the prior algorithm.  This
    modification reduces the present overhead depending the host to network
    endian arrangement and should help with both burst error detection and
    smaller packets.  This modification would also reduce the overhead
    associated with a hardware implementation of this scheme.

    Those working with storage products are expert at assessing burst error
    detection and it is not likely any other scheme other than CRC will provide
    superior fault coverage for burst errors.  This assessment is not likely
    realistic if burst errors or Gaussian noise are not a predominate source.
    Virtually any error scheme done in addition to the IEEE CRC found on the
    various physical serial transports will provide adequate coverage.  The
    problems arise from errors outside this CRC protective blanket.  The
    assessment may concern the bit distribution of algorithms and susceptibility
    to various pathological patterns.  Again, CRC hold advantages in this area
    but it may also become a weakness with respect to some error modes where bit
    coloring can be advantageous.

    This area is not easily resolved because of the many facets involved.  It
    would appear with the problems uncovered with Adler-32, this work should be
    revisited and hopefully put to rest.

    Doug