    RE: aborting an out of sequence cmdSN

    Sandeep,

    > The "iSCSI cancel" proposal you describe below has been presented
    > once before.  If you recall, I was asking for a refCmdSN in the
    > TaskMgmt PDU.
    >
    > The only difference between that and what you now describe below
    > is the addition of this concept of an "iSCSI service error" response.

    Close enough - sorry for the lack of acknowledgement.  Of the four
    options, (1) and (3) make the most sense to me.  Assuming that
    we document the iSCSI-based effects of task management operations
    (probably should do this not only for task abort, but also task set
    abort and task set clear):

    > (1) use connection allegiance for TASK MGMT PDU.

    Ok, with the possible concern about something going wrong on
    that connection.

    > (2) reject all commands prior to cmdSN of TASK MGMT PDU.

    I don't see anyone aside from Doug interested in this, so I consider
    WG rough consensus to have rejected this approach.

    > (3) cmdSN of original task is sent with TASK MGMT PDU and
    >     target at the iSCSI layer keeps state.

    The state's not a big deal - in essence the iSCSI target pretends it
    received a NOP instead of the actual command if the abort arrives
    ahead of the command.

    > (4) iSCSI initiator retains state for deleted tasks to ensure
    >     that R2T/Scsi Responses are appropriately handled.

    Ugly, although errant R2Ts may show up if the abort/clear is
    across connections.  With the iSCSI enhancements, the
    initiator should be able to throw these away.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500