    RE: FCIP iFCP encapsulation proposal

    Stephen Bailey
    > Not if the frame begins a new exchange.  Instead of concentrating on
    > FCP_DATA, and the read (target->initiator) direction, look at other FC
    > PDUs and the write direction (initiator->target).
    >
    > A single frame could be an FCP_CMD with a SCSI command, (e.g.  RESERVE
    > or START STOP UNIT with LOEJ=1), or a task management function
    > (e.g. target reset) or an FC link service (e.g. LOGO).  I'm sure there
    > are more clever attacks too.
    >
    > The only thing you need to know is the FC IDs of a logged-in
    > target/initiator pair which share the TCP connection you're using.
    > Certainly, the easiest pair would be the attacking system's FC_ID ...

    To begin a new exchange in an Internet environment, I do hope we check stuff
    more than just FC_ID before allowing a START_STOP_UNIT or TARGET_RESET.
    After a successful login and text message exchanges, both initiator and
    target keep a Port/Connection Control Block to save all kinds of goodies
    resulting from the exchanges.  The goodies WILL be checked before allowing
    an operation.  If not, there is no security and all the discussions herein
    are somewhat academic.  Furthermore, if the login and text messages are
    easily stolen, it is a security issue not an operation issue.

    Y.P.