    RE: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-01.txt]

    Matt,

    Adler-32 was designed to handle any byte length which is not something
    required for iSCSI if padding is included in the digest.  Modification to
    allow two bytes at a time should not be a problem as you would reduce the
    number of accesses in half. (One quarter the accesses required for CRC-32!)
    If a 16-bit add is used, then a subtraction with a carry tests for a modulo
    wrap will occur for each location.  This is not a substantial difference and
    will still be faster than normal Adler-32 as you have cut the number of
    iterations in half.  It should be likely Adler-16:32 vs. Adler-8:32 is more
    robust if burst error detection is required.  I doubt Fletcher-32 is as
    robust as Adler-xx as DMA or FIFO memory errors are likely to induce the
    same modulo used in Fletcher.

    Doug

    um-01.txt

    Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
    "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
    type "cd internet-drafts" and then
    	"get draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-01.txt".

    http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

    Send a message to:
    	mailserv@ietf.org.
    In the body type:
    	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-01.txt".

    NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
    	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
    	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
    	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
    	how to manipulate these messages.

    Internet-Draft.