    RE: iSCSI: Header Digest Failure (was R2TDataSN)

    Julian,

    It should follow that frame markers are not an option if header digests are
    used otherwise dropping the connection becomes required in the event of an
    error.  If header digests are used, there should also be an advisory
    recommending checking both values of the frame marker PDU pointer to detect
    a potential error at this level, as well as, a recommended null stuffing of
    the connection to allow resynchronization between framing markers.  Here in
    the draft, you have overlooked a concern regarding a digest error as it
    pertains to framing.

    Page 20:
       "In situations where IP packets are delivered in order from the
       network, iSCSI message framing is not an issue; messages are
       processed one after the other. In the presence of IP packet
       reordering (e.g., frames being dropped), legacy TCP implementations
       store the "out of order" TCP segments in temporary buffers until the
       missing TCP segments arrive, upon which the data must be copied to
       the application buffers.  In iSCSI it is desirable to steer the SCSI
       data within these out of order TCP segments into the pre-allocated
       SCSI buffers rather than store them in temporary buffers. This
       decreases the need for dedicated reassembly buffers as well as the
       latency and bandwidth related to extra copies."

    Page 12:

       "The iSCSI target layer MUST deliver the commands to the SCSI target
       layer in the order specified by CmdSN."

    What happens if there is an unrecovered gap in the CmdSN due to a failed
    NIC?  Why are these 31 bits? (2**31-1) is the limit set for several values.
    This is 2,147,483,647.  In other words, this is a 31 bit limitation.  If the
    MS bit is not to be used, perhaps this bit could be used to signal Immediate
    without disrupting the command sequence.  I doubt this is intended however
    as there are examples that indicate a count at 0xffffffff.  If the MS bit
    was not used, then the maximum count would have been 0x7fffffff.  I hope I
    am not repeating a prior notice.

    Page 18:
          - IPv6 address, in dotted decimal notation.  Assumed if the
          name contains more than four, but at most 16 numbers, separated
          by dots (.), where each number is in the range 0..255.

    Staying with decimal byte notation for IPv6, define how a value with fewer
    than 16 digits is interpreted by means of padding.  Do you zero pad MS
    positions?  This will require scanning all values with reversed order
    placement.  I doubt there is a more expensive scheme.

    On page 25, perhaps a better choice of words would be 'section' rather than
    'segment' to describe portions of the various structures that comprise the
    PDU layers.

    On page 83, you go to some length explaining R2T recovery based on a timeout
    but fail to provide any indication of a suitable timeout value.  How are
    these timeouts negotiated?
    Can equipment be expected to interoperate without timeouts specified?

    Doug