    RE: iSCSI Data Integrity - Digests

    Y.P.

    Forcing frame alignment does little to assist iSCSI if mid-tier equipment
    removes such framing despite option negotiation.  The urgent pointer has a
    defined behavior within RFC documentation such that to define it as a record
    boundary is not in keeping with standards.  To implement and use an urgent
    pointer as a record boundary pointer clearly modifies the TCP standard.
    Requiring modification of all compliant TCP implementations is modifying the
    standard.  There are already several TCP negotiated options such as SACK and
    no one suggested disallowing use of existing standard options.  The urgent
    pointer as a record boundary marker, as several people have indicated, is
    not part of the standard, can not be done reliably with existing
    implementations, and clearly places this concept into the non-standard
    category.

    PDU discovery can be done in a number of ways.  If the SCTP structures were
    adopted, then a pseudo-frame could be declared to start at fixed intervals
    within the TCP byte stream.  This could be done without modifying any TCP
    implementations and as every device could support this mechanism, it could
    be done in a uniform way.  The SCTP structures allow encapsulation of larger
    structures and could comply with this interval and define handshakes and
    retries independent of TCP.  This becomes required with added digest errors
    that would need handling above TCP and hopefully below SCSI.  I understand
    the desire to use reserved bits and tweak behavior but with such a sizeable
    install base, such desires only appear deceivingly simple to realize.

    The NET-SCSI standard should be independent of the underlying transport.
    There should be a transport layer added to TCP to provide all needed
    features demanded by SAN.  SCTP does a good job in defining these modern
    transport requirements and an additional layer could be added to TCP to
    provide a transport compliant to both SCTP using TCP.  In doing so, there
    would be virtually no difference between the two transports and there would
    be little doubt about eventual migration.

    Doug