    RE: iSCSI : Abort Task "connection allegiance"

    >There are two reasons for issuing abort: 1) application software exits and
    >OS needs cleaning up, and 2) a request times out and it needs clean
    >restart.
    >In either cases, we don't want the abort arrives there before the
    >one to be aborted. Hence, using zero CmdSN is unwise.  If the abort gets
    >there first,the target will complete the abort quickly and later executes
    >the one to be aborted anyway.

    YP,

    "connection allegiance" implies the Abort Task is sent on the same
    TCP connection as the command. By sending the Abort Task on the
    same TCP connection, [and since it is sent after the command],
    the ordering is preserved. The abort will not reach before the
    command.

    The only case where the abort would reach before the command
    would be if the iSCSI layer at the target had discarded the
    command PDU [due to an iSCSI layer error]. In such a case, since
    the command will never be active at the target, the target
    would respond to the Abort Task indicating "No Task Found"
    or "Function Complete" which should be ok.

    > > In the interests of keeping I/O timeout recovery quick, the
    > > "connection allegiance" policy, currently applicable to all phases > of
    >a command, should be extended to the Abort Task for that > command as well
    >and the Abort Task be sent with a CmdSN of 0.
    >
    >I don't follow this logic at all.  Are you trying to say that if the target
    >gets an abort, it should enter connection allegiance until the one to be
    >aborted arrives? This would real make a mess on the target microcode.  How
    >do we even know the aborted request would arrive?  IMHO, abort should never
    >have a zero CmdSN.

    "Connection Allegiance" is enforced by an initiator [by sending the
    command and the Abort Task on the same TCP connection.]. (This
    terminology is curently used in the draft).

    Connection Allegiance for a target impies all the PDUs for a command,
    sent from a target to an initiator, should be sent on the same TCP
    connection on which the command was received. (i.e. READ Data PDUs,
    R2T, SCSI Response PDU, ..).

    Regards,
    Santosh