    RE: iSCSI : Holes in StatSN

    Julian,

    While I agree data delivery directed by the target with significant freedom
    is the convention used by SCSI, Santosh also speaks to a much larger issue.
    The present iSCSI transport is not reliable and repairing this weakness
    using the SCSI layer is a poor technique.  Abandon a mixture of SCSI and
    iSCSI and make iSCSI a self sustaining independent layer.  View iSCSI as a
    general transport that allows handling of digest errors, validation,
    multiple connections, and sequential delivery then its header may look
    something like this:

      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     0|    Type       |   Reserved    |          Word Length          |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     4|                         Validation Tag                        |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     8|                       Checksum (Adler32)                      |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    12|                    ->ClientSN or <-ServerSN                   |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    16|                 ->ExpServerSN or <-ExpClientSN                |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    20|                 ->MaxServerSN or <-MaxClientSN                |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+

      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    24|                          (Frame Check)                        |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    28|                       SCSI_CMND  ...                          |
      +-                                                              |
    36|                                                               |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    40|                       CDB ...                                 |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    x |                      (Data ...)                               |

    The advantage of moving the Frame Check (if used) into the header would be
    with respect to data placement especially in regard to potential overlays or
    non-sequential data due to the freedom offered to SCSI.  To assist in
    delineating this transport as independent of SCSI a better name could be
    SCSI Encapsulation Transport or SET.  To indicate its use under IP, iSET.
    The frame type could include FC or Parallel versions of SCSI to assist in a
    more straight forward conversion.

    Doug