    From: Santosh Rao [mailto:santoshr@cup.hp.com]
    Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 6:19 PM
    To: Sriram Rupanagunta
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: FCIP/iFCP : Guarantee In-Order delivery for FC N/NL_ports

    Sriram Rupanagunta wrote:

    > > > Can this assurance be made even while using multiple TCP
    > > > connections b/n
    > > > edge switch/routers ?
    > > This question is N/A for FCIP, since only a single connection
    > > is specified between FCIP gateways.  In iFCP, a single TCP connection
    >
    > Sometime back, FCIP folks mentioned that there is nothing in the
    > FCIP spec that limits the number of connections to one. My
    > understanding is FCIP leaves this to implementations, whether
    > to use one connection or multiple.

    The above is EXACTLY the reason I have raised this question. I hear
    conflicting statements being made on this issue. I don't see how FCIP can
    use multiple TCP connections per (S_ID, D_ID) pair and guarantee in-order
    delivery without implementing buffering and re-ordering on the FC-IP
    switch.

    Both FCIP and iFCP MUST guarantee in-order delivery since all FC end ports
    (N/NL_Ports) depend on this feature and FC-FLA Table 3 mandates this.

    Regards,
    Santosh