    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Hi Charles,

    Thanks for offering your perspective. I respect your opinions and I'm sure
    my responses would be exactly the same as yours if I were in your position.

    > That aside, the general thrust of this note seems
    > to reflect business rather than technical concerns.

    I am not sure if we can separate the overall market viability from
    technical. From our perspective, we do not want the IPS Working Group to
    endorse multiple technologies to address same or relatively close solutions.
    While it is easy to say that as a vendor it should be possible for them to
    support iSCSI, iFCP and FCIP protocols, the cost of developing a solution
    that addresses all three (which includes not just product development but
    testing, certifying and validating interoperable solutions) is something
    that we as a vendor would not like to be drawn into. If you think this is a
    business reason, and should be ignored, we disagree with that opinion.

    > Such confusion, if it exists, is best sorted out in the marketplace.  In
    my
    > opinion, it's not the business of standards organizations to anoint any
    one
    > technology by picking winners and losers (as some would apparently wish).

    The standards organizations often pick something and others are forced to
    support that. We could let the marketplace decide, but that can be an
    expensive option for the market and can be detrimental to all vendors. As an
    example, while we are arguing about iFCP, FCIP and iSCSI, InfiniBand may
    enter the market and with a coherent proposal, may make this irrelevant.

    I assume that you agree that the combination of iSCSI, FCIP and iFCP has
    redundant technology elements. We believe the IP Storage Working Group needs
    to address the redundant parts which may mean picking something. When it
    does, we expect vendors to adopt and support what is picked. Do you not see
    a role in standards bodies to pick some technology? If you do not, why is
    iFCP being brought to the IP Storage Working Group as a work item?

    > Such assertions about processing overhead are totally without
    > foundation or substance.

    I do not think so. To perform cut-through routing, we only need to examine
    the first 8 bits of a frame (the domain id part of D_ID) to send it to an
    E_Port. If it is within the switch, you can do so by examining the first 24
    bits of the frame (D_ID). Typically, most switches can do this by adding
    less than two to five microseconds to the latency. To perform a lookup to
    establish the From and To of both S_ID and D_ID and substitute the addresses
    and recompute a new CRC or digest would, in my opinion, take more cycles.
    Evidently, you seem to disagree, which is fine.

    Regards,

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.
    http://www.rhapsodynetworks.com