    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Before this goes any further ... the two of you may be
    in violent agreement.  Charles objected to a "handshake";
    I don't think this objection would preclude one end of
    a connection announcing the protocol that it intends to
    use so that the other end can cleanly and quickly
    terminate the connection if it can't or won't use
    that protocol (ideally with an error code to the
    other end indicating protocol incompatibility, so
    the misconfiguration becomes obvious).  Doug's
    suggestion of IANA-allocated numbers for identifying
    protocols for this purpose is reasonable.

    As to the virtues of being able to speak more than
    one protocol on a port, Fibre Channel provides examples
    of where this sort of thing has been added after the
    initial specifications were done, so I wouldn't dismiss
    this out of hand.