    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Hi Ken:

    First of all, ELS's are well off the performance path, so there's no effect
    on performance.

    More to the point, we process ELS's and other frame traffic because doing so
    gives us a big payoff in cost-performance.  A payoff that comes from
    allowing iFCP implementations to intelligently leverage IP technology. For
    example, maintaining a seperate session for each N_PORT login gives the
    gateway  a handle for controlling the flows between individual FC storage
    devices, thus fully exploiting IP-based routing and traffic management.
    Concealing the Fibre Channel transport infrastructure behind the FC side of
    the gateway eliminates the need to for a two-plane routing scheme. IP
    routing is then unconstrained by and fully decoupled from FC routing.
    More importantly, doing so makes it easier to integrate otherwise
    incompatible FC infrastructures.

    While I'm at it, and since this issue has come up several times, I should
    point out that the NAT-like address translation we do reflects a design
    choice made to exploit IP scalability. We could have made the tradeoffs
    differently without affecting iFCP in any fundamental way.

    Charles
    Charles Monia
    Senior Technology Consultant
    Nishan Systems