    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Charles,

    Sorry to jump on this one, but I must be misinterpreting what you wrote:

    > Anyhow, the behavior on the FC side of the device is, of course, governed
    by
    > the applicable FC standards (or their proprietary equivalents). It's not
    > required for iFCP devices to interoperate with one another and hence
    doesn't
    > belong in the spec.

    I hope you meant something along the lines of:

      The FC interfaces on iFCP devices are governed by the appropriate FC
    standards
      (which require no modifications for iFCP) and hence must interoperate to
    the degree
      required by those standards.  This may depend on implementation choices,
    for example,
      an E port on a iFCP device would not be expected to communicate with an N
    port.

    If iFCP were to somehow make Fibre Channel interoperability worse (e.g., an
    F port
    that failed to work properly with N ports), that would be a severe problem.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500