    RE: Framing Discussion

    This issue is one of how SCSI interfaces to the
    operating system.  Operating systems issue a
    SCSI read and provide a buffer (e.g., a page
    from the file buffer cache or the like) into
    which the data is to be read.  SCSI and Fibre
    Channel HBAs are capable of taking the data
    directly off the bus/cable/wire/fiber and putting
    it into exactly the right place in the correct
    buffer.  The approach Mohan outlines below reads
    the data into some buffer and then has to copy
    it into the right place when parsing of the
    iSCSI header(s) reveals what that place is.
    The design goal behind the framing discussion
    is avoidance of that copy.  In contrast to the
    typical case for NICs and TCP/IP, read data
    buffers for SCSI data are usually *not*
    interchangeable.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500