    Re: Framing Discussion

    Hi Marjorie,

    The section on "How can we accomplish direct data placement",
    seems to assume that there is a separate buffer allocated
    by the iscsi layer to receive the data from the network.
    Is this an implicit assumption on how iscsi will be built ?

    I can see iscsi layer sitting on top of TCP posting iscsi
    commands, and receiving buffers from the network as they
    come. Assume the NIC has a pool of buffers for the
    iscsi connection. When the data comes from the network, i
    can assume that the NIC is able to parse the TCP/IP headers
    and locate the right buffer pool for receiving data. As the
    data is received, it can be returned to the iscsi layer
    which can interpret the iscsi header and the length and hence
    the data following the iscsi header and also more iscsi headers
    that follow it. In this model, i don't see any difficulty
    in data placement unless i am missing something.

    -mohan