    iSCSI: retry

    Julian,

    Here are a couple of notes on command retry bit.  I had not
    come across anything in the current draft to say this is not
    true.  But I wanted to confirm the same since I haven't seen
    a reponse from you on the attached mail.  Please comment.

    o Command retry support is optional for a target.

    o It is legal to receive a command with the retry bit on the same
      connection as the one it was originally received on (IOW, retry
      bit is the only indicator of the fact, retry-ness cannot be
      deduced from other pieces of information.).

    Thanks!
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    M/S 5601
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Julian,

    Glad about your agreement on vendor-unique.

    >Mallikarjun,
    >
    >I like the vendor unique idea!.  As for the retry bit I was ambivalent
    >about it.
    >You will have to check anyhow that the Initiator Tag is to there already so
    >what is the point?
    >
    >I though that having the command coming back once more (on a different
    >connection) is signalling restart anyhow.

    To me, it appears that you're assuming a certain usage model with the
    retry bit.  My interpretation of the retry bit (haven't checked the new
    drafts to confirm, sorry) is that the initiator can use it for a command
    (say, CmdRN=X), till one of the two is true - a) status reception for X
    is confirmed with ExpStatRN covering X, OR b) some sort of "timeout"
    happens on the target end.  If this interpretation is true, a command can
    be retried entirely because of problems on the initiator end.  The target
    would then have no way to distinguish a retry from a fresh command since
    it is upto the initiator to choose the structure of ITT.

    More than anything else, I liked the convenience of the earlier opcode
    format where I can test a single-bit and reject/ignore it if I don't support
    retries at all.