    RE: iFCP: FC-BB exists, why invent something new?

    > Wayland:
    >
    > One correction to your analysis.
    > The BSW switches do not have to run a dynamic protocol such as
    > FSPF-backbone.
    > In reality, any proprietary protocol or even static configurations will
    > work in the backbone especially when the number of ARs is small.
    > Also, my reading is that Switch vendors are not quite there with a
    > hierarchial
    > implementations. But it will come in time ...

    Yes. Thanks for the clarification.

    I am curious about a couple of things relative to BSW's. The SW-2 spec has
    very little detail regarding BSW's. I know that a BSW is the only device
    that can advertise a summary descriptor LSR which is used by other BSW's to
    identify and isolate conflicting domain ID's. But, I think the definition of
    a BSW is quite fuzzy. Maybe you can help me with a couple of questions that
    I have:

    	1) How does a switch become a BSW? Is it configured as
    	    such? Does it detect that a port is connected to AR-0?

    	2) What are the functional requirements of a BSW? From
    	    reading SW-2 it looks like it has responsibility for
    	    detecting that it is connected to AR-0, advertising
    	    the summary descriptor LSR, isolating conflicting domains,
    	    and performing FSPF-backbone routing. Is that it? Can
    	    I find a more detailed description of a BSW somewhere?

    	3) In the FCIP draft, figure 4 shows a IP-based FC backbone.
    	    I'm a bit confused though. The previous diagram (Fig 3) shows
    	    an interconnected AR-0 with only a subset of the meshed
    	    connections (1->{2,4} ; 2->{1,3} ; 4 -> {1}). Each BSW has
    	    a dedicated E-port for each of the connections listed. Yet,
    	    in figure 4, each BSW connects to a single FCIP device
    	    which in-turn connects to the IP cloud. In order to
    	    implement the connections in figure 3, the BSW's would
    	    need more than a single E-port. Did the authors omit the
    	    individual E-ports for clarity?

    > Yes, FC-BB2 is postioned to carry the FC-SAN island connectivity to the
    next
    > step.
    > FC-BB2 has decided to align itself with FCIP Model.

    Sounds great. Is there a detailed draft of the scope of the BB-2 project
    other than what is posted on the T11 website?

    Thanks in advance.

    > -Murali

    -Wayland