    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Raj Bhagwat
    Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 9:52 PM
    To: Murali Rajagopal; Joshua Tseng; Venkat Rangan; IP Storage Working
    Group
    Subject: RE: fcovertcpip - N_Port support.

    As Joshua said in one of the earlier emails, it is always possible to build
    a single switch that includes the functionality of an FC switch and a FCIP
    gateway. The only reason they are shown separately in the diagram is to
    illustrate the concept clearly. So, practically speaking, it is possible to
    connect N_Ports or NL_Ports directly to an FCIP gateway as long as it has
    the functionality of an FC switch (FLA, GS3, etc).

    Raj Bhagwat
    LightSand Communications