    RE: fcovertcpip - N_Port support.

    Venkat,

    > I think an implementation per fcovertcpip-section 6.2, also
    > requires the
    > mapping of S_ID and D_ID of FC frames at the N_Port entry
    > into routable IP

    I do not read the same thing from section 6.2.  The diagrams in
    the FCIP document do not support your assertion.  There is nothing
    to indicate that FC devices can be directly attached to the FCIP
    gateway, unless an FC switch (i.e., BSW) has also been implemented
    in the FCIP gateway.  Rather, the 2nd diagram in section 6.2 clearly
    indicates that FC traffic must be routed by a BSW before they can
    ingress the tunnel supported by the FCIP gateway.  The BSW is running
    the FSPF routing protocol to determine which tunnel link should be
    used for the next hop.

    > addresses. After this mapping, the FC Frame Encapsulation
    > (section 5.2 of
    > the draft) takes place and these encapsulated frames can be
    > sent out on the
    > link-layer interface of IP address (corresponding to S_ID)
    > directly, without
    > involvement of FSPF or E_Ports/ISLs. The component that does
    > this is very
    > much identical to your iFCP Portal.

    Again, I disagree.  Nothing in the FCIP document indicates that the
    FC frame can be routed without the involvement of FSPF which is
    running on the BSW.  The functionality of the FCIP gateway is
    different and far more limited than that of the iFCP Portal.  FCIP
    is merely a tunnel or conduit, one instantiation of an ISL.  It
    does not do routing.  The FCIP must rely on the FC switch to do
    the routing.

    > There could be other devices whose S_ID and D_ID do not get
    > mapped to IP
    > addresses, and they are routed by FSPF-established
    > E_Port/ISLs. So, both
    > routing planes can coexist. If there is no FC plane routed
    > traffic (i.e.,
    > all name server objects have an IP address mapped to it), it
    > degenerates
    > into an iFCP switch/gateway, as specified in your draft.
    >
    > When we look at the Name Server object in FC-GS-3, it already
    > has provisions
    > to map FC WWN to an IP Address. An implementation can
    > recognize the presence
    > of an IP Address in this object to decide whether they are
    > sent out on the
    > IP routing plane or the FC routing plane. The name server itself is a
    > standard function of all FC-SW-2 switches.

    I believe the IP address object (Object No. 5) you are refering to is
    the IP address used to send and receive IP traffic over the FC network.
    One example of its use is for SNMP messages and traps from the FC interface.
    This object is already in use and it would be inappropriate to attempt to
    use this field to tunnel FC frames originating from the device.

    Regards,
    Josh Tseng