    RE: ISCSI: Urgent pointer consensus

    I have in the past raised concern about it (coalescing of
    pointer). Others have raised a concern about how it may
    impact TCP accelerated adapters (URG pointer presence
    may kick the packet into non-fast path) - also software
    interface is non-efficient.

    It seems that if a connection is going at a rate where
    the data transfer rate is equal or higher than the producer
    rate of generating data, and there is a segment loss, then
    the urgent pointer is going to help place the data in a proper
    location (if the dropped PDU contained an iSCSI header
    and iSCSI PDU < window size or thereabouts).

    However, it is not clear to me what happens in the face of
    slow start and other exception conditions.

    I have some analysis below of what might happen if iSCSI
    implementation and TCP implementation are not literally
    mushed together.

    ----

    First of all, slow start is likely to cause coalescing
    of the Urgent pointer (at least according to my interpretation
    of the 793) if the sender all of a sudden wants to send a
    lot of data or the rate of production is greater than the
    rate of transmission - even for short amounts of time.

    Matt suggested that in case of a segment loss, the adapter
    would look for the next urgent pointer and
    drop all the data between the lost segment and the next
    urgent data. The result of this behavior would actually
    cause the sender to make some assumptions about link
    congestion (even in the presence of SACK), the results
    of which are not likely to be good.

    Also, what happens when a lost segment is retransmitted? Is it
    supposed to carry the URG pointer, wherever it may point?

    ----

    It seems fairly easy to create a model where iSCSI and TCP are
    closely tied together and make some assumptions about the "rate
    at which the application - iSCSI - is generating packets".
    In this case we can use the URG pointer
    to have the desired behavior - we should negotiate it i.e.
    make it optional. And also very clearly specify the behavior
    since RFC793 is ambigous (what happens when there is retransmission?
    how to distinguish that from out of order?). The behavior may
    include negotiated limits on the size of the iSCSI PDUs.

    Somesh