    Re: ISCSI: Urgent pointer consensus

    Daniel Smith wrote:

    > Matt Wakeley wrote:
    > >
    > > placed.  If you lose an iSCSI PDU header due to a lost TCP segment, you
    > > lose iSCSI PDU framing from then on (until the missing segment is
    > > received).  You then have to store the TCP data (received after the
    >
    > Ah!  Now I am beginning to see how your implementation works.  In your view,
    > a write CDB for 128MB would have a sequence like...
    >
    > send CDB PDU
    > rx R2T for 1MB          (rx=receive)
    > send 1MB
    > rx R2T for 1MB
    > send 1MB
    > rx status PDU

    Actually, I see something more like:

    send CDB PDU A
    send CDB PDU B
    rx r2t for A
    send CDB PDU C
    rx data for B (512-4K typically)
    send data for A
    rx data for C

    In other words, lots of I/Os with lots of small (no longer than a few K) iSCSI
    messages going in both directions.  Typical disk I/Os are not in the megabytes.
    That way, if "rx data for A" gets lost, the data for B and C (and all the others
    that will arrive - there could be 10's or 100's of commands outstanding) can be
    placed in their dedicated I/O buffers before A is retransmitted.

    -Matt