    RE: Keep-alive traffic (was iSCSI: more on StatRN)

    Charles,

    While inventing more servers and clients, SCSI transport must concern itself
    with mundane issues of timeouts, flow control, and resource reservations.
    The present specification does not allow any deterministic means of
    detecting a communication failure, provide for flow control and the lack of
    an explicit logout also does not aid a resource allocation effort (garbage
    collection).  I am not sure what is accomplished by pinging before
    disconnecting.  Rather than calling it ping, perhaps we should call the
    function aloha, as it means both hello and goodbye. :)

    Doug