    RE: iSCSI: more on StatRN

    Steph,

    You should consider the problem of freeing resources on the target in a
    predictable manner.  A TCP timeout will be a very long period to maintain
    resources for a failed connection.  Without a deterministic means of
    detecting a failed connection, an initiator that gives up on an adapter
    frequently, may consume all available resources on the target within this
    TCP failure detection period.  This TCP detection may be very long if
    keep-alive is not recommended.  A SCSI ping could be used in a repeated
    fashion to ensure a deterministic failure timeout during critical periods
    within the ULP.  In the same manner of ensuring predictable behavior, a
    global acknowledgement and no required connection allegiance is a good means
    of ensuring resources are freed.  A 64 byte packet every 10 seconds is 51
    bits per second steady state on the network.  Not much per connection but it
    would also be a good reason to keep the number of connections within reason.
    Keeping latency to a minimum would also require a minimum number of
    connections be maintained or each connection becomes constricted by the
    next.

    Doug