    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Stephen Bailey
    Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 3:25 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: more on StatRN

    > What probe rate on a waiting response without other confirmation of
    > connection happening would you specify?

    Upon further reflection I'm not sure I analyzed the situation
    correctly.  I know you all think everything through completely before
    you start typing, so you can just stone me right now for not doing the
    same.

    I don't see why free running keep-alives are necessary at all in
    iSCSI.

    Targets only care if the connection is lost when they are returning
    something to the initiator.  Attempting to send anything from target
    to initiator will detect a lost connection, so a keep-alive is not
    necessary.

    Initiators will maintain task timers on outstanding SCSI operations,
    and when a task timer expires, whatever action the initiator performs
    (Abort Task exchange, ping, whatever) will discover the lost
    connection.  Again, no keep-alive is necessary.

    Steph