    iSCSI virtualization

    iSCSI Team,
    With my TC Hat on:

    The proposal, by Yarom, regarding virtualization has had some interesting
    skepticism, to many folks wanting to delay the consideration to after the
    main projects have been addressed.
    Here are extracts of some of the messages (from earliest to latest and
    excluding my own) :

    I like the idea but am not so sure about the solution.(J.S)
    I like  the basic idea of farming out the data transfer traffic to the real
    devices. .... however, ...(C.M.)
    I would suggest that this is an issue for T10.(J.H.)
    How would discovery work in this scenario? (What would who "find"?)(D.D.)
    This virtualization would make this more generally applicable,(M.B.)
    The feature is very useful if it works transparently, within the framework
    of existing device semantics and commands.(C.M.)
    But at closer examination the case becomes weaker...(J.S.)
    In my opinion,it's not [a T10 issue]. In any event, I vote for taking this
    off the table.(C.M.)
    I entirely agree that this is premature (Private)
    I think this is an implementation issue (S.G.)
    Let us keep it out of the iSCSI protocol for now. Maybe someday (S.G.)
    Actually, the matter is T10 and T10 only. (R.S.)

    I believe that the following is a fair statement of rough consensus:

    1. The proposal, for virtualization, may have some merit.
    2. We should take it off the iSCSI table (at least for now)

    Therefore, based on the above, I am asking Yarom to create a Draft, which
    can be fully debated, and submit it after the basic iSCSI protocol and
    related projects are completed.

    Hat off:

    .
    .