    RE: iSCSI CONNECT message

    Joshua,

    If you look at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2784.txt this RFC describes the
    Generic Routing Encapsulation protocol that can be used to tunnel past
    firewalls and NATs.  iSCSI is not describing anything remotely similar to
    HTTP, telnet, or FTP and perhaps with the exception of HTTP, these protocols
    do not use DNS as part of their basic functioning.  HTTP certainly does not
    require DNS, but as much of the embedded text strings within HTML documents
    depend on symbolic domain names, DNS has become a part of HTTP. Symbolic
    names have been troublesome in that one HTTP server does not translate in
    the same manner as another. (Things like file: or scsi: would not help this
    situation.)

    At each point of tunneling within iSCSI, authentication must be made.  As
    that would then include every point within iSCSI, authentication would be
    part of every operation for every node.  As each node will be required to
    translate symbolic information in the same manner, a name server would need
    to be referenced to forwarded packets.  Symbolic parsing, name lookup,
    authentication, and packet forwarding becomes a required operation
    understood by each node.  This becomes a significant level of complexity
    added to assist in an imagined problem.

    In a real-world situation, a target address could be just a number
    understood by targets through prior initialization.  If the target doing a
    third-party operation is required to forward a packet, the network for this
    server should understand how to transport that packet to its final location
    based on this pre-defined number.  That forwarding should be fixed in place
    and not altered by the client.  As such, there would be no reason to include
    any IP or domain name for DNS lookup within the SCSI transport.  Once a
    permission list of targets is checked at the SCSI portal, no other points
    are required to check and re-check.  Once you allow dynamic routing tables,
    the ability to authenticate and secure the system has become sizable and
    likely beyond scaling.

    Doug