    Re: iSCSI CONNECT message

    Joshua Tseng/Nishan Systems wrote:
    > If I am "not correctly representing the world", it is purely
    > unintentional. But my references indicate that at least rlogin and
    > ftp embed the destination hostname in the messaging between
    > client and server (see TCP/IP Illustrated by R. Stevens, pg 396-397
    > and pg 428).  In rlogin, there are three strings sent after the
    > first byte--login name of the client, login name of server, and
    > terminal type and speed.  In ftp, the hostnames are passed in the
    > control connection.

    I don't have Steven's book handy, but I have the BSD source code.
    For rlogin/rsh/rcmd what is sent is the stderr port number,
    local user name, remote user name, and the command string. Used
    primarily as a bad inband authentication protocol. There are
    no hostnames used. For FTP it is just a direct connection to port 21
    then ASCII commands are sent, no hostnames are required (see RFC959).
    Same for telnet, except it has some parameter negotiation available.
    I would like to be proven wrong, but I have written clients, servers,
    and packet sniffers for all of these in the past.

    > Additionally, my real-world experience with application proxy
    > firewalls indicate that this MUST be so, or the proxy firewall
    > should not be working!  Am I missing something here?  Otherwise,
    > how is it working???  I do not understand what you mean by "out
    > of band entities".

    What I mean is that the base Internet protocols were written long
    before anyone dreamed up the idea of a proxy and they are simple.  As
    a result the smarts is put in the proxy and not in rewriting the
    base protocol. By out of band entities I mean some technique that
    is not part of the standard protocol that enables proxies.

    	-David