    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    There is no statement about managing names in the draft, nor in Daniel
    note.

    Julo

    "Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net> on 28/09/2000 19:52:43

    Please respond to "Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:   Daniel Smith/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject:  RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Julo,

    The point missed is in how names are managed.  You wish to include name
    management within the transport where it does not belong.  SCSI third party
    commands presently map in a binary fashion.  In some cases, this binary to
    name translation should not be sent by the client.  Relegating this
    function
    to LDAP server as example, both the client and the device server depend on
    an external management already in use.  By attempting to encompass name
    management rather than leveraging off existing standards, security is
    weakened and such standard undergo revisions unrelated to transport as
    naming conventions, associated attributes, and points of definition change.

    Doug

    IP
    > of your workstation, as he has control of these assignments through DHCP
    > and
    > LDAP servers, the same should be true for a networked version of SCSI.
    >
    > Do not forget the large task of authentication that may also be managed
    by
    > either the provider or the client.  By keeping the transport as plain as
    > possible, these naming abstractions can become as complex as required
    > without affecting the transport specification.  Implanting names into
    SCSI
    > is a mistake and should be corrected as it limits this valuable freedom.
    >
    > Doug

    LUN