    RE: iSCSI: Flow Control

    At 04:39 PM 9/29/00, Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    >The open question to the list is whether there's value in allowing some
    >amount of immediate data (e.g., for targets that need fast startup on
    >long latency connections, and are prepared to deploy the buffering
    >required to make it work reliably), or whether we ought to follow FCP-2
    >and forbid immediate data, which will impose a round trip delay (command
    >out, R2T back) before data starts to flow.  I think I've seen a couple of
    >comments in favor of this, but more discussion is in order.

    I suggest that you split the question:

    1) Is immediate data desirable when the initiator has certain knowledge
    that the LU is idle (with respect to the initiator)?

    2) Is immediate data desirable when the LU may be busy.

    I think the answer to 1) is "Yes", make provision for the initiator to send
    immediate data---but also make provision for the initiator to obtain some a
    priori knowledge as to the quantity of data the LU will accept in the idle
    state. There need not be a negotiation between initiator and LU; it could
    be sufficient for the LU to advertise its capabilities.

    In the case of 2), the answer might vary dependent upon whether or not
    those LU resources used to obtain data from the initiator are fully
    occupied when the LU is other than idle.

    If most of the optimization is realized in case 1), it might obviate the
    need for complicated schemes needed to make immediate data in case 2) useful.

    Regards,

    Peter Johansson

    Congruent Software, Inc.
    98 Colorado Avenue