    Re: Why FCP doesn't need RDMA? It has a better way.

    "Randall R. Stewart" wrote:

    > "GUPTA,SOMESH (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" wrote:
    > >
    > > Even iSCSI does not really need RDMA. The underlying note in
    > > the whole debate is really the preservation of message boundaries.
    > >
    > > If we could use one of the reserved bits in the TCP header to say,
    > > do the repacketize or adjust segment boundaries, and each TCP
    > > segment starts with an iSCSI header, there should be no need for
    > > another protocol (or TCP option header).
    > >

    > I don't think you can go playing with TCP option bits. This implies
    > changing TCP and I don't see this in the WG charter. If bits need
    > to be changed then a draft needs to be written and submited to
    > the proper WG.. in this case I would say transport area WG...

    I agree.  There is no need to use new option bits.  Please read my
    draft  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wakeley-iscsi-msgbndry-00.txt

    It describes a proposal to discover message boundaries using the existing
    TCP mechanisms (the urgent pointer).

    > I think in some respects this is exactly what Costa has done... Now
    > as far as message boundary preservation, you get this for free
    > with SCTP.. and has Douglas as already pointed out, you could very
    > easily implement in SCTP the ability to copy a specific stream
    > into receive buffers .. i.e. tell the sender, but the data on
    > stream X and then as it arrives dump it directly to user buffers.

    Randall, please stop telling us all about the fabulous features of SCTP.  We
    are all sick to death of hearing about SCTP.

    -Matt