    RE: Why FCP doesn't need RDMA? It has a better way.

    With my WG co-chair hat off:

    > Actually, RDMA is not needed in FCP because all protocol chips
    > implemented perform a real peer-to-peer DMA straight to the
    > data areas specified by the user's interaction with the operating
    > systems allocation algorithms.  The combination of the FCP/SCSI
    > pointer structure, task tagging, and the FC relative offset perform the
    > function you would otherwise have to use RDMA to accomplish.

    And this illuminates the design tradeoff that may motivate RDMA.  If
    one only wants to accelerate one protocol (SCSI/FCP in the above
    example) then having hardware understand its headers and doing
    the DMA on that basis is a fairly obvious way to go - HBAs for both
    parallel SCSI and Fibre Channel (SCSI/FCP) do this.  RDMA may be
    interesting if there are multiple protocols involved, and there are
    engineering
    concerns that lead to not wanting to implement hardware support for
    all of them.

    From an iSCSI viewpoint, I don't see iSCSI by itself as being sufficient
    to motivate a protocol-independent RDMA - an iSCSI HBA could understand
    the iSCSI headers and interact with DMA in the same fashion as existing
    HBAs.  The task before those interested in RDMA is to identify a set
    of protocols for which a common RDMA mechanism makes sense from
    an engineering standpoint.  I tend to agree with the previous emails
    that iSCSI could make optional use of a common RDMA mechanism
    if available, but must not REQUIRE its use.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500