    Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping

    At 07:45 PM 9/16/00, John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM wrote:

    >As with Fibre Channel (and even multiple SCSI buss connections), once you
    >have acuired a connection to the Storage Controller, you may address  LU
    >0, to get the LU numbers that are authorize to that connection (with some
    >Storage Controllers these are virtual Devices authorized by connection
    >"port" and/or WWN of the initiator).  The values returned by the LU0 query
    >are the unique LUNs related to that LU 0  (real or virtual).
    >
    >The Host SCSI layer can then obtain a unique ID from the EVPD page 83h.
    >When the same unique ID is found on different paths then they have
    >discovered an "Alternate Path".   All of this is normal SCSI, not transport.

    This is one of two methods I mentioned, an approach rooted in the command
    set. I have no disagreement with the usefulness of vital product data for
    this purpose.

    >Since many Storage Controller create virtual volumes, and these are only
    >visable to authorized Initiators,  and also unknown to the transport. It
    >seems that we should keep to the same approach used by Fibre Channel et.
    >al. and keep it away from the (iSCSI) transport.

    I was unaware that iSCSI was targeted (no pun intended) solely at Storage
    Controllers. If there are iSCSI methods to describe the existence of a
    particular target's LUs PRIOR to session establishment, then it may also be
    desirable to be able to discover unique IDs at a target or LU level at the
    same time. Some clients may find it useful to make a decision at this
    earlier point rather than after issuing a SCSI command. In any case, this
    feature would be OPTIONAL and complementary to EVPD.

    Regards,

    Peter Johansson

    Congruent Software, Inc.
    98 Colorado Avenue