    RE: iSCSI Autosense

    At 07:34 PM 8/30/00, Douglas Otis wrote:

    >Few wish to mess with odd devices that are talking SCSI in some unknown
    >fashion.  To add ACA emulation at an adapter and then fiddle code in the
    >original application to send now expected ACA commands seems counter
    >productive with these low reward tasks should there be a prior reliance on CA.

    Before spending much time or energy worrying about these hypothetical
    devices, what are the design goals of iSCSI?

    Is one of its important goals support for crusty devices which may or may
    not exist? Are we trying to enable support, over IP, for exceptions to the
    rule?

    Or is iSCSI focused on a different goal, that of efficient,
    high-performance connection to mass storage devices (both disk and tape)?

    It's not as if iSCSI will be exclusively tailored to mass storage, but one
    has to ask "Why is iSCSI a hot topic today?" For the sake of some
    unidentified "odd devices"?

    Regards,

    Peter Johansson

    Congruent Software, Inc.