    RE: iSCSI Autosense

    Not true.  Only for the nexus is this true.

    > Since most packetized protocols allow several commands to be
    > in flight concurrently between initiator and target, the most
    > probably case in a packetized protocol is that an in flight
    > command will clear a CA condition long before the initiator
    > finds out about it and has a chance to fire off the needed
    > REQUEST SENSE in to get the sense data.

    These in flight commands are a different nexus such that Sense data is not
    lost.  If the device can not maintain separate Sense information BUSY is
    returned.

    > The bottom line here is that Autosense works for packetized
    > protocols and CA does not.  Since it is trivial to translate
    > a packetized Autosense front end to the CA behavior of an
    > older backend SCSI device, the right thing for iSCSI to do
    > is to make Autosense mandatory and not to provide any way
    > whatsoever to disable it.

    iSCSI does provide a means to disable it, but not to refuse it.

    > The fact that SAM is written with a preference for CA is
    > (like CA itself) a historical artifact.  So long as the
    > wording continues to be correct, it is unlikely that T10
    > will change the wording (if it ain't broke don't fix it).
    >
    > However, the ancient leanings of SAM should not under any
    > circumstances be used as a justification for iSCSI support
    > for a CA-like interface.  As noted above, CA doesn't work
    > for packetized protocols like iSCSI.

    A mistaken conclusion.

    > ACA (Auto Contingent Allegiance) is absolutely positively
    > NOT the super-duper, all fixed up for a packetized world
    > brother of CA.  ACA is orthogonal to Autosense and actually
    > has no place in this discussion.

    Odd, but error control and reporting does not seem orthogonal.

    > IN ALL CASES, ACA is optional.  Simply return 0 in the
    > NormACA bit (bit 5 byte 3) of the Standard INQUIRY Data
    > and you don't support ACA and you are expected to refuse
    > to process any CDB with the NACA bit set to 1.

    For a means of get things to stop, some mechanism should exist.  This
    becomes difficult by suggesting refusal of Autosense is a bad choice.  ACA
    may not exist for this purpose if you allow older devices.  I suggest that
    there be a means to refuse Autosense.  If the driver can not support this
    option, it can refuse the device.

    Doug