    RE: iSCSI Autosense

    > If adapters on a device basis provide access, can one assume such
    equipment
    > will support ACA?  If not, is it practical for the adapter to recognize
    this
    > limitation and make required translations?  This could be problematic in
    > less aggressive technologies such as tape, loaders, and the like.

    I believe ACA should have been Autosense in the first question above.

    A target adapter (i.e., iSCSI target to SCSI initiator) can definitely make
    the translation - in response to a CHECK CONDITION from a device that
    does not support Autosense, it fetches the sense data, clears the condition,
    and returns the data as specified by Autosense.  The requirements
    document already contains a statement that older SCSI devices
    may require translations of this ilk.  This is much better than
    expecting the iSCSI initiator to come in and clean things up,
    since the device can't do anything else until this is done, and the
    iSCSI initiator may be some distance away.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754