    RE: iSCSI: "Wedge" drivers

    At 05:30 PM 8/28/00 -0700, John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM wrote:

    >structure.  With this is mind, it seems to me, that we can move to a
    >position (perhaps over time) where the iSCSI Device Driver is able to
    >perform the load balancing, and alternate path recovery, yet leave other
    >functions for a higher level Wedge Driver to perform.  This tends to keep
    >the upper layers, simpler and easier to write and maintain.

    This is exactly the point of the previous discussion on QoS, dealing with
    fabric events (hot-plug / removal), path selection, etc.  Keep these
    problems outside of the upper layers but define the interfaces and basic
    policies within the iSCSI layer and standardize that.  This simplifies
    quite a bit of the implementation since one can choose what operations they
    support and to what extent while allowing one to transparently upgrade
    their offerings while maintaining complete backward compatibility and
    interoperability.

    >If the above concept seems reasonable, then we need to keep the Multiple
    >Conversations per Session.

    Agreed.

    >Again let me state my belief that the implementations that will ship out,
    >originally, will be Single Conversations per Session, especially since it
    >is easier and the default.  This will mean that some of the current Wedge
    >Device Drivers will remain unchanged, and therefore, alternate path
    >recovery with load balancing will be done, (or not) at this layer.
    >However, over time, I think this will change -- as the various vendors have
    >time to implement the Multiple Conversations per Session.  This will
    >permit, in some cases, the elimination of Wedge Device Drivers, but
    >probably just the simplification of the Wedge Device Drivers.

    Wedge drivers may provide more value-add capabilities in the future
    especially for determining the QoS policies on dynamically changing
    workloads, cost models, and fabrics with changing routes or capabilities
    (these are also functions that could be done outside of the wedge driver in
    a standard way but leverage the standard interfaces to the iSCSI
    component).  A layered approach keeps iSCSI simple and allows vendors and
    customers to put together the functional and complexity level that best
    meets their market requirements and more easily enhance / modify using a
    phased delivery approach.

    Mike