    iSCSI: "Wedge" drivers

    I guess I need to take my co-chair hat off and say
    a few things about EMC's and other "Wedge" drivers.

    Wedge drivers are motivated by fault tolerance and
    fail-over in addition to load balancing/spreading.
    EMC actually has two products, PowerPath for Symmetrix
    (does all three), and ATF for Clariion (fail-over only).
    Other products include HDS's SafePath, Veritas's DMP
    and HP's PV Links.  Apologies to those I've left out.
    John's goal of eliminating of wedge drivers via
    iSCSI sessions may not be achievable in practice
    due to fault tolerance and fail-over concerns.

    The basic fault tolerance/failover concern
    arises from the requirement that failure of one
    interface processor in the disk array should
    not disable all access to the host's storage.
    Hence the host to storage connectivity usually
    encompasses more than one interface processor,
    facing array designers with the choice of
    using multiple SCSI connections and keeping
    the SCSI state in each interface processor
    vs. sharing the SCSI state across multiple
    interface processors, and making sure everything
    works right when one of them fails in an arbitrary
    fashion (ouch).  The former is considerably
    easier to implement, and requires a wedge driver
    on the host side.  The corresponding issue of
    how a host deals with possible failure of an
    iSCSI HBA has already been noted, and I agree
    that the most likely approach is a wedge driver.

    Since John works for IBM, I should note that
    the phrase "interface processor(s)" isn't directly
    applicable to the IBM Shark array, but nonetheless,
    this issue is still present -- for fault tolerance,
    storage access has to be spread across both RS/6000
    systems running AIX in a Shark, and sharing SCSI
    state across AIX instances doesn't sound like an
    easy thing to do.

    The bottom line is that failure and fault tolerance
    concerns make it unlikely (IMHO) that an iSCSI session
    concept will lead to the extinction of wedge drivers.

    There have been some questions about difficulty of
    development of wedge drivers.  EMC's experience
    is that fault tolerance and fail-over require much
    more effort than load balancing for a couple of
    reasons.  The first is that more complex systems tend
    to have more complex ways of failing than of working
    correctly :-(.  The second is that correct behavior
    of a wedge driver depends on the correct behavior of
    HBA drivers in error cases, and HBA vendors in
    general do not exhaustively test correct behavior
    of error cases before releasing drivers -- we
    find driver bugs on a regular basis.  Given the
    intention to implement much/all of iSCSI in
    hardware, I suspect that this situation will
    continue relatively unchanged.  I'm not sure what
    the latter implies for difficulty of development
    of error handling code for multi-connection iSCSI
    sessions when a single vendor is responsible for
    both the hardware and the driver.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754