    Re: FC/IP vs. iSCSI

    Hi George,

    > FC ports are identified by both a 64 bit port-WWN and a 64 bit node-WWN.
    > Together, they form a 128 bit WWN that should scale to the internet.

    While a 64-bit flat namespace can certainly uniquely identify all hosts
    on the Internet, the name cannot usefully be translated to a route or
    address.

    The flat namespace leads to a central authority that translates all
    64-bit ids to routes. I do not believe such a central authority
    which maintains a flat namespace would scale from a management perspective
    (imagine having to register storage LUN with some central authority!)

    And it seems to me that building a system that can handle mapping 1 billion
    LUN WWNs to IP addresses would be a non-trivial engineering problem.

    > (Note, that these addresses do not provide any routing hints.  But that's a
    > different kettle of fish.)

    Actually, that's a big problem with using WWNs exclusively.

    -Costa