    Re: multiple TCP connections

    I don't understand the motivation for creating the concept of a session
    consisting of multiple TCP connections in the iSCSI draft.

    If the motiviation is a desire to share the load over multiple physical
    paths, IIRC IP already provides this in the form of multihoming. I
    suspect there is some current activity in this area, although I'm not
    network-literate enough to point to any such work.

    If the motiviation is to work around performance flaws in the
    implementation of multihoming in some TCP/IP stacks, then I suggest that
    it would be better to fix the implementations.

    If the motiviation is to work around a fundamental performance flaw in
    IP multihoming, then I suggest that IP should be fixed, or that some
    other generic solution be engineered.

    If the motiviation is to make it easier to implement TCP/IP hardware
    acceleration by pushing the aggregation of multiple paths up into the
    application protocol, then I suggest that a general solution should be
    engineered (one that can be applied to multiple protocols), rather than
    creating a special hack for iSCSI.

    Is there a rationale for multiple TCP connections that I have missed?

    If not, which is the claimed rationale?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    -Steve