    Re: iSCSI/VI/TCP

    > Constantine Sapuntzakis writes:
    > > A suitably generic RDMA scheme allows innovation in
                                ^^^^^^ = I should have used the word protocol here

    > > protocol design, without worrying that the new protocol will be
        ^^^^ higher-layer protocol

    > > hopelessly slow in legacy hardware.  It decreases the pressure to load
    > > features into old, hardware-supported protocols instead of introducing
    > > new ones.
    >
    > Here's where I must ask for a clarification. Are you saying that

    Thanks for pointing out the lack of clarity. I should have made the
    layering in my argument more explicit. I am talking about innovation
    in protocols at the iSCSI/NFS/CIFS layer.

    Hypothetical world: The world starts building protocol-specific NICs,
    for example, iSCSI NICs. There is a large installed base of iSCSI
    NICs.  The NICs make data transfers on iSCSI run quickly while other
    protocols go through the software stack.

    In this world, let's say you want to create a new protocol/API that
    competes with iSCSI/SCSI.  Well, to make it run quickly on the
    installed base of iSCSI NICs, you would probably end up figuring out
    how to run it on top of SCSI or iSCSI instead of creating a new
    protocol. This puts pressure to dump features into iSCSI.

    Admittedly, calling iSCSI "an old, hardware-support protocol" is a bit
    premature.

    -Costa