    Design Teams

    Julian,

    > Can we get a room for some face-to-face design
    > team meetings in Pittsburgh.

    The short answer is "no", if for no other reason
    than there is no official IETF space available.

    The long answer is that the core iSCSI proposal has
    more or less reached the point where a small design
    team ceases to be an effective means of making progress.
    A focused design team is effective in producing an
    initial version of something, and the iSCSI design
    team has done well has done well in that regard.
    Once the initial version is done, wider review and
    comment is required to move from design team consensus
    to working group (rough) consensus.  Working through
    the issues on the mailing list where all of the
    technical discussion is visible tends to be more
    effective than queuing up issues for design team
    meetings and interpreting the minutes to try to
    figure out what was considered by the design team.

    Design teams may still be appropriate for focused
    areas where it's necessary to make rapid progress
    on an initial version -- security comes to mind
    as a possible example.  Also, the WG may need interim
    meetings between IETF meetings - if so, these will
    be announced well in advance and open to all.
    Let me also make it clear that this note should not
    discourage interested people from meeting in whatever
    informal circumstances are convenient, as long as
    everyone keeps in mind that the list should be the
    primary forum for technical discussions and
    decision-making rather than merely being used
    to review decisions made offline.

    I've been personally involved in an IETF WG in which
    design teams were used effectively (disbanded after
    production of the initial version) and one in which
    they were used ineffectively (persisted long after
    the initial version).  IMHO, it's more than coincidence
    that the latter WG has encountered greater difficulty
    and consumed much more time than expected in making
    progress towards its goals.  I'd prefer not to identify
    the WGs in order to avoid an off-topic discussion.

    I believe the AD(s) will have more to say on this
    subject in Pittsburgh.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754