    RE: Security Considerations

    I have no concerns over examining the protocol for security implications
    (the SCSI standard itself has a similar requirement with respect to
    testability).  My concern was over jumping to the conclusion that a certain
    level of security is required.

    Once again, what concerns me is the application space.  In the one I am most
    familiar with, where iSCSI can be used to complement or replace Fibre
    Channel/Infiniband in a storage area network environment, it is not at all
    clear that high levels of protocol security are required (security is
    typically provided by means outside of this layer of the protocol).  What
    especially triggered my concern was mention of encrypted traffic, since that
    would appear to imply either dedicated hardware or software running on fast
    general purpose hardware.

    Levels of security is one possible solution to the issue of varying
    application environments, although the marketplace has a tendency to focus
    on a certain level of functionality for optimum price/performance products.

    This is an area that I would suggest people get T10 feedback on, since I
    think it is an area where the storage and network communities have differing
    histories and expectations.

    Jim