    RE: IETF mailing list question on Storage over Ethernet/IP

    • To: "'Dave Nagle'" <bassoon@yogi.ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: IETF mailing list question on Storage over Ethernet/IP
    • From: "HAAGENS,RANDY (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <randy_haagens@hp.com>
    • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:56:44 -0600
    • Cc: "Scsi-Tcp (E-mail)" <scsi-tcp@external.cisco.com>
    • Delivery-Date: Fri May 26 01:02:58 2000

    David,

    A few comments about this one.

    1. FC does not provide reliable transmission.  It provides for error
    detection, but escalates recovery to "upper level protocol".  FCP-2 has
    improved this situation, but is not widely implemented yet.  One of the
    advantages of using a transport such as TCP is that link errors will be
    corrected in a manner that is transparent to the application protocol
    (SCSI).

    2. Jumbo frames will not be necessary when TCP is implemented in hardware.
    Most FC implementations use 1024 byte frames, and performance is very
    adequate, given hardware implementation of FCP.

    3. The cost of using different transport protocols in the LAN and WAN is
    that the two will not interoperate.  Many of us believe that TCP has proven
    itself in both the LAN and WAN.  I bet your PC or UN*X workstation is using
    TCP for all its protocol needs.

    4. The IPS working group is mapping SCSI to TCP.  Another working group is
    mapping FC to IP.  These are very different approaches.  The first (ours)
    preserves SCSI, but does not include any vestige of Fibre Channel.  It is
    intended for use in the LAN, MAN and WAN.  Its best use is for connecting
    hosts computers to storage controllers using Ethernet and IP WAN technology.
    It will be possible, but non-trivial, to translate between SCSI over TCP/IP
    and SCSI over Fibrechannel.  The second is a tunneling scheme for extending
    Fibre Channel over the IP WAN.  It does not contemplate Ethernet-based hosts
    or storage controllers.

    5. Just about any reliable transport will do nicely for transporting SCSI
    commands.  We chose TCP because its implementation and behavior are
    well-known, and it is well-supported with load-balancing, QoS and security
    features.  While another protocol (such as reliable datagram) might be
    arguably better suited to storage transport applications, we'll use TCP
    "because it's there".  We'll have the benefit of all the other investment
    that's going into improving TCP for internet uses.

    Randy Haagens
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Storage Organization
    Hewlett-Packard Co.