    "Jon William Toigo": Storage over Ethernet/IP

    FYI
    ------- Forwarded Message

    Date:    Thu, 25 May 2000 17:52:14 -0400
    From:    "Jon William Toigo" <jtoigo@IntNet.net>
    To:      <ietf@ietf.org>
    Subject: Storage over Ethernet/IP

    - ------=_NextPart_000_06CD_01BFC671.F56982C0

    I am seeking a few points of clarification:

    1.  Fibre Channel folks have attempted to explain to me why TCP/IP could =
    NEVER be a viable interconnect for block level storage operations.  They =
    claim:

    a.  TCP is too CPU intensive and creates too much latency for storage =
    I/O operations.

    b.  The IP stack is too top heavy and processing packet headers is too =
    slow to support storage I/O operations.

    c.  The maximum throughput of a GE TCP/IP connection is 768 Mps, which =
    is too slow to support storage I/O operations.

    Is any of this true?

    2.  Adaptec has posited a replacement for TCP called STP for use as a =
    transport for storage.  Does anyone know anything about this?

    3.  Current discussions of the SCSI over IP protocol seem to ignore the =
    issue of TCP or any other transport protocol.  Does anyone know =
    definitively what transport is being suggested by the IBM/Cisco crowd?

    4.  Another storage company is looking at Reliable UDP as a substitute =
    for TCP in storage data transfers.  Where can I learn more about this =
    protocol, which I am told was introduced many years ago by Cisco?

    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

    Jon William Toigo
    Independent Consultant and Author
    jtoigo@intnet.net

    - ------=_NextPart_000_06CD_01BFC671.F56982C0

    <HTML><HEAD>
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
    <STYLE></STYLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am seeking a few points of=20
    clarification:</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.&nbsp; Fibre Channel folks have =
    attempted to=20
    explain to me why TCP/IP could NEVER be a viable interconnect for block =
    level=20
    storage operations.&nbsp; They claim:</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>a.&nbsp; TCP is too CPU intensive and =
    creates too=20
    much latency for storage I/O operations.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>b.&nbsp; The IP stack is too top heavy =
    and=20
    processing packet headers is too slow to support storage I/O=20
    operations.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>c.&nbsp; The maximum throughput of a GE =
    TCP/IP=20
    connection is 768 Mps, which is too slow to support storage I/O=20
    operations.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is any of this true?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp; Adaptec has posited a =
    replacement for TCP=20
    called STP for use as a transport for storage.&nbsp; Does anyone know =
    anything=20
    about this?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3.&nbsp; Current discussions =
    of&nbsp;the SCSI over=20
    IP protocol seem to ignore the issue of TCP or any other transport=20
    protocol.&nbsp; Does anyone know definitively what transport is being =
    suggested=20
    by the IBM/Cisco crowd?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4.&nbsp; Another storage company is =
    looking at=20
    Reliable UDP as a substitute for TCP in storage data transfers.&nbsp; =
    Where can=20
    I learn more about this protocol, which I am told was introduced many =
    years ago=20
    by Cisco?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your =
    assistance.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jon William Toigo</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Independent Consultant and =
    Author</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
    href=3D"mailto:jtoigo@intnet.net";>jtoigo@intnet.net</A></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>