    bibliography

    Okay, here are some bibliographic entries for some useful papers on
    transport protocols and other topics.  For reasons probably related to
    my job change but hopefully not meaning I've lost a bunch of it, my
    current bibliography appears incomplete.  I know I'm missing a survey
    of lightweight transport protocols (from IEEE ToN, I think) and a few
    others (my total bibliography is over 400 papers, but for some reason,
    I'm always missing whatever today's most important one is :-().

    I'll immodestly start with the non-transport papers:

    All of the Netstation papers are available at
    http://www.isi.edu/netstation/

    @InProceedings{van-meter:visa,
      author = 	 "Rodney Van{ }Meter and Greg Finn and Steve Hotz",
      title = 	 "{VISA}: Netstation's Virtual Internet {SCSI} Adapter",
      crossref =	 "asplos98"
    }

    @InProceedings{van-meter:ip-for-naps,
      author = 	 "Rodney Van{ }Meter and Greg Finn and Steve Hotz",
      title = 	 "Internet Protocols for Network-Attached Peripherals",
      crossref = "kobler:gsfc-msst-98"
    }

    A one-pager on why IP:

    @InProceedings{van-meter:ip-naps,
      author =	 "Rodney Van{ }Meter and Steve Hotz and Gregory G. Finn",
      title = 	 "Task Force on Network Storage Architecture:
    		  Internet-attached storage devices",
      crossref =	 "hicss-30",
      note =	 "White paper for the task force that met in
    		  conjunction with the conference",
      URL =		 {http://www.isi.edu/netstation/hicss_isi.ftp.ps}
    }

    This one is now quite dated:

    @ARTICLE{van-meter:nap-overview,
    title = {A Brief Survey of Current Work on Network Attached
    Peripherals (extended abstract)},
    author = {Rodney Van{ }Meter},
    journal = {ACM Operating Systems Review},
    year = 1996,
    month = jan,
    pages = {63--70}
    }

    Garth's stuff (these are the two best, IMHO):

    @TechReport{gibson:nasd-case,
      author = 	 {Garth Gibson and others},
      title = 	 {A Case for Network-Attached Secure Disks},
      institution =  {CMU},
      year = 	 1996,
      number = 	 {CMU-CS-96-142},
      month = 	 jun,
      comment = 	 {Good paper presenting a taxonomy of NAP interfaces,
                      and numbers evaluating potential performance
                      improvements for NFS and AFS, varing from a few
                      percent to a factor of ten in CPU cycles.},
      read = 	 {1996/7/24}
    }

    @InProceedings{gibson:nasd-file-server-scaling,
      author = 	 "Garth A. Gibson and others",
      title = 	 "File Server Scaling with Network-Attached Secure Disks",
      crossref =	 "sigmetrics97",
      comment =	 {Presents their NASD taxonomy again, with more
    		  detailed analysis of the results of using their NASD
    		  model.  Suggests total server workload reduction of
    		  30 percent or so for the ``NetSCSI'' approach (which
    		  they don't recommend) and factors of 5 and 10
    		  for AFS and NFS using their particular NASD model.
    		  Replays UCB NFS traces and their own AFS traces
    		  against an emulated server to test response time.
    		  Disparages UDP performance.  Great references.},
      read =	 {1997/10/26},
      URL =		 {http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/NASD/},
      location =	 { rdv : folder : naps }
    }

    Okay, now transport protocols:

    @Article{baguette92:_xtp_conn_compare,
      author = 	 {Yves Baguette and Andre Danthine},
      title = 	 {Comparison of {TP4}, {TCP} and {XTP} -- Part 1:
                      Connection Management Mechanisms},
      journal = 	 {European Transactions on Telecommunications},
      year = 	 1992,
      volume =	 3,
      number =	 5,
      month =	 {Sept.-Oct.},
      comment =	 {English is a little rough, but good info.
                      Concentrates mostly on TP4 v. XTP.  TP4, like TCP,
                      uses a 3-way handshake.  XTP requires an explicit
                      connection open packet (different format than data
                      packets), but data packets can be pipelined with
                      it, cutting out a round trip.  Connection close can
                      also be reduced to 2-way handshake.},
      location =	 { rdv : folder : XTP },
      read =	 {1998/4/13},
      URL =		 {http://www-run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/publications/papers/abstract-R92-03_A.html}
    }

    @Article{baguette92:_xtp_data_compare,
      author = 	 {Yves Baguette and Andre Danthine},
      title = 	 {Comparison of {TP4}, {TCP} and {XTP} -- Part 2:
                      Data Transfer Mechanisms},
      journal = 	 {European Transactions on Telecommunications},
      year = 	 1992,
      volume =	 3,
      number =	 5,
      month =	 {Sept.-Oct.},
      comment =	 {Spends a lot of time on the differences between XTP
                      3.5 and 3.6 (current version is 4.0).  Provides some
                      support for ALF, in the form of an end-of-message
                      bit.  No segmentation/reassembly allowed in the
                      net.  Checksums are in trailers, and are optional.
                      Uses a timeout to decide a packet has been lost, but
                      the details of that setting aren't covered.  Error
                      handling is tricky in standard internets because it
                      assumes in-order delivery (which requires XTP-aware
                      routers under some conditions).  Uses a window
                      mechanism for flow control.  Supports optional
                      FASTNACKs (again depends on in-order delivery).
                      ACKs are piggybacked.  Congestion control is done
                      via path rate control, which again requires
                      XTP-aware routers.  XTP supports both reliable and
                      unreliable multicast.},
      location =	 { rdv : folder : XTP },
      read =	 {1998/4/13},
      URL =		 {http://www-run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/publications/papers/abstract-R92-03_B.html}
    }

    @INPROCEEDINGS{cheriton:vmtp,
    author = {Cheriton, David R.},
    title = {Exploiting Recursion to Simplify RPC Communication
    Architectures},
    booktitle = {Proc. ACM SigComm (Stanford, CA August 1988)},
    year = 1988,
    month = aug,
    pages = {76--87}}

    @MISC{cheriton:vmtp-rfc,
    author = {Cheriton, David R.},
    title = {VMTP: Versatile Message Transaction Protocol / Protocol
    Specification},
    number = {Internet RFC 1045},
    organization = {USC/ISI},
    year = 1988,
    month = feb}

    @Manual{hippi-st,
      title = 	 {Information Technology - Scheduled Transfer Protocol
                      {(ST)} {T11.1/Project 1245-D}},
      organization = {NCITS},
      year =	 1998,
      month =	 jan,
      note =	 {rev 1.45},
      comment =	 {Scheduled transfers for HIPPI, as a transport
                      protocol.  Also claimed to work for FC and ethernet,
                      but I dpn't think anybody's really using that yet.
                      Separate control and data connections.  Begins with
                      a setup negotiation, in which the destination
                      indicates how much data it's prepared to receive.
                      Mentions that this could be adjusted downward by
                      intermediate nodes, but no discussion of how.
                      Assumes very reliable in-order delivery for
                      efficiency, though should work on packet loss due to
                      ACKs (apparently, one ACK per data pkt is required).
                      Targetted to minimize the work on receive.
                      Transfers consist of blocks which consist of STUs,
                      which I think correspond to packets.  Must be a
                      power of two in size.  Some support for striping,
                      including fan-in and fan-out, but still looks incomplete.
                      Headers indicate when the upper-layer system should
                      be interrupted.  Some support for negotiated
                      out-of-order delivery, but I'm not sure how that
                      works with the max received index in the ACK packets
                      (ACK pkts are primarily indicators of buffer
                      availability for flow control, really CTS).  Says it
                      assumes low latency.  No discussion of how packets
                      might overlap in transmission; diagrams show a
                      series of data pkts then a series of CTSes.  Thinks
                      it ld be used to carry TCP/IP traffic, but I view it
                      more as a transport protocol and would be curious to
                      see ST over IP.  Despite not being an Internet
                      protocol, bows to the IANA for selection of things
                      like well-known port numbers for services.},
      location =	 { rdv : folder : hippi },
      read =	 {1998/1/30},
      URL =          {http://www.cic-5.lanl.gov/~det/dST145.pdf}
    }

    There are a number of other papers on XTP, as well as the spec,
    available at http://www.ca.sandia.gov/xtp/.

    Hope this helps.