    transport protocols

    Sorry to be so late getting in on this conversation.  There was a
    discussion of transport protocols a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted
    to contribute my $0.02.

    When I was at Quantum, we investigated heavily a number of transport
    protocols for possible use over IP:

    * FC classes 2 & 3
    * TCP
    * T/TCP
    * XTP
    * VMTP
    * ST
    * lightweight reliability over UDP

    I no longer have my notes (they stayed at Quantum), but if memory
    serves:

    * FC 2 & 3: forget it.  Too dependent on a reliable lower layer.  All
      2 really gets you is faster notification of errors -- you still fail
      out to app-level recovery on dropped packets.

    * TCP: the best choice.  The problem is efficiently multiplexing
      multiple commands and finding message boundaries -- issues the TCP
      option draft here addressed.

    * T/TCP: I like it.  There are apparently some security concerns.  For
      me the show-stopper, though, is that it's designed for
      single-threaded RPC.  A T/TCP connection starts, does its thing,
      shuts down, then is ready for the next one.  If you want two
      concurrent I/Os, you need multiple T/TCP streams.

    * XTP: another good option, with a few advantages over TCP (simplicity
      was an XTP goal, partially reached), but not compelling enough.
      Inadequate congestion control; by the time you add it, you're
      probably close to TCP in complexity.  Not firewall friendly?

    * VMTP: a little long in the tooth -- would need a serious
      update. Rate-based flow control not useful over today's Internet
      infrastructure, could still be made to work in a LAN.  Forwarded
      RPCs (command to node A, response from node B) is quite intriguing
      for more complex storage systems, but not really needed for SCSI
      over IP.  Not firewall friendly.

    * ST: a nice, lightweight protocol, but I'm concerned about a)
      assumptions about a reliable link layer, b) latency sensitivity, c)
      congestion control.  Probably fine in a LAN, not useful in a WAN.

    I've got a long list of references on the above, plus more, if
    anyone's interested.

    		--Rod